June 18-27, 2021
ISAR announces an international summer school in the archaeological park of the Roman Forum, open to architecture students of all levels (including continuing education). The programme is offered in partnership with the Interrupted City project and Özyeğin University DRUM laboratory and will run in parallel with the first week of ISAR’s Archaeological Field School. Other academic partners include the California Polytechnic (SLO) Rome Program in Architecture and the University of Firenze.
The sequence of lessons, taught in English on site and remotely, are intended to provide students with hands-on skills in methods of architectural documentation, conservation and valorization of cultural heritage sites. The laboratory will focus on an ongoing excavation in the Horrea Agrippiana at the base of the Palatine Hill.
Students will work in a choice of research areas:
- Documentation (using laser scanner and photogrammetry)
- Historical research (including hypothetical reconstructions)
- Restoration (creation of a conservation plan)
- Valorization (architectural designs for needed site structures)
Each of these pedagogic components will combine clear, illustrated instruction by experts in the field with readings, interactive discussions and practical applications.
- 30 April 2021 Registration deadline
- 5 May Notification of acceptance
- 31 May Payment deadline
- Fri 18 June Opening conference and orientation
- Sat, Sun 19-20 June Virtual visits to sites and museums.
- Mon-Fri 21-25 June 7:30-16:00 Site-work in Roman Forum
- Sat 26 June. Closing conference
Both undergraduate and postgraduate students are welcome to apply – no previous experience necessary!
- Prof. Tom Rankin (ISAR, Cal Poly): Project Director
- Prof. Alessandro Camiz (Özyeğin University): Project Co-Director
Full-fee: € 500/person covers:
- Housing in shared apartments with kitchen access, wi-fi.
- Public transportation within the city of Rome.
- Entry fees for archaeological sites and museums
- Printed materials,
- Welcome and farewell dinners
A base-fee option is available for students who prefer to pay for their own expenses, or wish to attend online.
Base-fee: €50/person Includes program tuition but no lodging, meals or transportation.
Participants will be chosen on qualifications and expressed interest. ISAR will notify selected students following the timeline.
For further information and to apply to participate email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tom Rankin +39 348-3307181 or (508) 443-1961 (US skype n. to Italy)Program-Forum-2021
Financial Aid. Help us make this experience possible to a wider range of students. A contribution of €100 will underwrite the cost of one student and can be submitted through our US 501c3 Fiscal Partner.
See the Video of the 18-28 June 2020 REMOTE VERSION #isarschoolrome