17-27 July 2020 REMOTE VERSION
ISAR announces an international summer school in the town of Castelvecchio Calvisio, in Italy’s mountainous Abruzzo region, open to architecture students of all levels (including continuing education). The program is offered in partnership with the Interrupted City project and Özyeğin University DRUM laboratory and is part of ISAR’s Borgo Abruzzo initiative. Other academic partners include the California Polytechnic (SLO) Rome Program in Architecture and the University of Firenze.
The sequence of lessons, taught in English REMOTELY, are intended to provide students with hands-on skills in methods of architectural documentation, conservation and valorization of cultural heritage sites. The laboratory will focus on the near-abandoned medieval village of Castelvecchio Calvisio, part of the cluster of towns known as the Baronia di Carapelle.
Students will work in a choice of research areas:
- Documentation (using laser scanner and photogrammetry)
- Historical research (including hypothetical reconstructions)
- Restoration (creation of a conservation plan)
- Valorization (architectural designs for needed site structures)
Each of these pedagogic components will combine clear, illustrated instruction by experts in the field with readings, interactive discussions and practical applications.
- Sat, 18 July. Opening Conference with instructors, guests, Mayor Antonacci, and mayors of neighboring towns.
- Sun 19 July. Virtual visits to Calascio, Santo Stefano in Sessanio, Castel del Monte.
- Mon-Fri 20-24 July Virtual site-work
- Sat 25 July. Closing conference
Both undergraduate and postgraduate students are welcome to apply – no previous experience necessary!
Project Direction and Instruction
- Prof. Tom Rankin (ISAR, Cal Poly): Project Director
- Prof. Alessandro Camiz (Özyeğin University): Project Co-Director
- Giorgio Verdiani (Univ. Firenze) Digital Survey: 3D Laser Scanner and Terrestrial Photogrammetry
- Özge Özkuvancı (Ph. D. candidate, Özyeğin University) tutor
- Dora Cirone (ISAR), archaeologist, guest instructor
- Caterina Coletti: archaeologist, guest instructor
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Alessandro Camiz Özyeğin University (Turkey)
- Prof.. Tom Rankin California Polytechnic State University (USA)
- Assist. Prof. Dr. Giorgio Verdiani, University of Firenze
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Massimo Angrilli, Università degli Studi “G. d’Annunzio”Chieti – Pescara
- Roberta Belli, Politecnico di Bari
- Carlo Bianchini, Sapienza University of Rome
- Marco Cadinu, Università degli Studi di Cagliari
- Giovanni Carbonara, Sapienza University of Rome
- Paolo Carlotti, Sapienza University of Rome
- Antonio Conte, Università degli Studi della Basilicata
- Edoardo Currà, Sapienza University of Rome
- Wowo Ding, Nanjing University (China)
- Amedeo Feniello, University of l’Aquila
- Loredana Ficarelli, Politecnico di Bari
- Donatella Fiorani, Sapienza University of Rome
- Ezio Genovesi, Rhode Island School of Design (USA)
- Orhan Hacihasanoglu, Özyeğin University (Turkey)
- Matteo Ieva, Politecnico di Bari
- Ozlem Koprulu Bagbanci, Uludag University (Turkey)
- Karl Kropf, Oxford Brookes University (UK)
- Francesco Mancini, Curtin University (Australia)
- Claudia Mattogno, Sapienza University of Rome
- Rossano Pazzagli, University of Molise
- Darko Reba, University of Novi Sad (Serbia)
- Mosè Ricci, University of Trento
- Nicola Santopuoli, Sapienza University of Rome
- Giuseppe Strappa, Sapienza University of Rome
- Roberta Spallone, Politecnico di Torino
- Fabrizio Toppetti, Sapienza University of Rome
- Alper Unlu, Özyeğin University (Turkey)
- Guglielmo Villa, Sapienza University of Rome
Base-fee: € 15/person
Includes program tuition but no lodging, meals or transportation.
APPLICATIONS HAVE BEEN REOPENED FOLLOWING THE SHIFT TO REMOTE LEARNING. The online registration form is now active at this link. Participants will be admitted on a rolling basis. In the event spaces are filled before the deadline students will be put on a waiting list. For students who have been accepted Payment will be required to confirm participation by May 30.
€15 payment will be required to confirm at time of acceptance and full-payment made by May 30.
For further information and to apply to participate email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tom Rankin +39 348-3307181 or (508) 443-1961 (US skype n. to Italy)
Download PDF brochure (original version before pivoting to remote)