Summer 2021 Season July 16-25, 2021
ISAR announces an international summer school in the town of Castelvecchio Calvisio, in Italy’s mountainous Abruzzo region, open to architecture students of all levels (including continuing education). The program is offered in partnership with the Özyeğin University DRUM laboratory and is part of ISAR’s Borgo Abruzzo initiative. Other academic partners include the California Polytechnic (SLO) Rome Program in Architecture and the University of Firenze.
The sequence of lessons, taught in English on site and remotely, are intended to provide students with hands-on skills in methods of architectural documentation, conservation and valorization of cultural heritage sites. The laboratory will focus on the near-abandoned medieval village of Castelvecchio Calvisio, part of the cluster of towns known as the Baronia di Carapelle.
Students will work in a choice of research areas:2021-isar-abruzzo-Opening-Conference-GD
- Documentation (using laser scanner and photogrammetry)
- Historical research (including hypothetical reconstructions)
- Restoration (creation of a conservation plan)
- Valorization (architectural designs for needed site structures)
Each of these pedagogic components will combine clear, illustrated instruction by experts in the field with readings, interactive discussions and practical applications.
- 31 MAY, 2021 Registration deadline (extended to 31 May)
- 6 June, Notification of acceptance
- 30 June Payment deadline
- Fri 16 July, Arrival and check-in
- Sat, 17 July. Opening Conference with instructors, guests, Mayor Antonacci, and mayors of neighboring towns.
- Sun 18 July. Virtual visits to Calascio, Santo Stefano in Sessanio, Castel del Monte.
- Mon-Fri 19-23 July Virtual site-work
- Sat 24 July. Final Presentations
- Sun 25 July. Awards Ceremony
Both undergraduate and postgraduate students are welcome to apply – no previous experience necessary!
- Prof. Tom Rankin (ISAR, Cal Poly): Project Director
- Prof. Alessandro Camiz (Özyeğin University): Project Co-Director
In-person Cost € 500/person includes all: instruction, transfer from Rome, lodging and some meals, certificate of participation.
Base-fee: €50/person Includes program tuition but no lodging, meals or transportation.
Applications have closed; applicants will be informed of acceptance by 5 June.Program-Abruzzo-2021