The Signum Vortumni Project 2020
Summer Season V: 15 June – 24 July, 2020
ISAR is proud to announce our 2020 summer field school season! This year we will be presenting a sequence of lessons, both in the classroom and on-site, to provide students with the basic skills necessary to discern and document the multiple phases of site use present at the Horrea Agrippiana, located at the base of Rome’s Palatine Hill. Lessons will address the history, topography, and architecture of ancient Rome with the aim of helping students recognize and identify architectural elements and material culture through hands-on training. Further lessons will focus on helping students understand the techniques of stratigraphic investigation, the use of topographic instruments, hand-drawing, and digital documentation.
Specific lessons will also focus on ceramic, stone, and other small finds from Roman, Medieval and Renaissance periods which may come to light during the excavations. Each of these pedagogic components will combine clear, illustrated instruction by experts in the field with readings, interactive discussions, and practical applications.
Located within the confines of the Horrea Agrippiana in the Roman Forum, at the base of the Palatine Hill, this 6-week field school will provide:
- Classroom lessons and visits to archaeological sites and museums in Rome and Lazio
- Classroom and field lessons on stratigraphic excavation techniques, artefact identification, archaeological documentation, and site mapping
- Hands-on experience at a prestigious excavation site with a respected team of international archaeologists and architects
- Lodging in central Rome
Dr. Dora Cirone (ISAR): Project Director
Dr. Alessio De Cristofaro (ISAR): Project Co-Director
Dr. Matthew J. Mandich (ISAR): Field School Director
Field work will be conducted 5-days/week (Monday-Friday) from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM.
There will be a one-week orientation with visits to sites and museums in Rome as well as several days of classroom instruction prior to starting fieldwork.
Download Field School Brief: click here to download!
Field School Cost: $4,500.00
- Accommodation in shared apartments in central Rome for six weeks
- Public transportation within the city of Rome
- Entry fees for archaeological sites and museums visited during the Week 1 orientation
- Equipment and safety measures
- Personal trowels
- Printed materials
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Snacks provided on-site from Monday to Friday
Deadline: 1st of March 2020
Both undergraduate and postgraduate students are welcome to apply – no previous experience necessary!
To apply please complete the form below.
Please send all questions and queries to firstname.lastname@example.org